Benefits of Wheatgrass are numerous, and this young grass of the commonly grown wheat plant, Triticum aestivum and is considered nature’s finest healing remedy.
The Richest Source of healing Chlorophyll on this Planet contains abundant of Chlorophyll which is the basis of all plant life and is responsible for their green color.
Studies have shown that chlorophyll arrests growth and development of harmful bacteria and controls its spread in the human body. The oxygen we intake comes from the chlorophyll in plants – ‘No chlorophyll, No human life. ’
Chlorophyll not only increases oxygen levels in our body but also helps the body to emit carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide and fight free radicals which are responsible for aging and diseases. Its antibacterial properties are beneficial for treating various skin disorders and has also been known to regulate Blood Sugar, Blood Pressure and lower LDL (Bad Cholesterol).
A study found that people who took chlorophyll supplement on a daily basis had more significant weight loss than a group that didn’t take the supplement due to its metabolism boosting properties.
Wheatgrass Benefits: Juice and Powder
Wheatgrass Juice is termed as “Green Blood” as it bears a close resemblance to the “Hemoglobin” in our blood and the therapy using it is known as “Green Blood Therapy.” This Juice is a complete food and contains carbohydrates, proteins, all essential minerals, and vitamins.
It is recommended for patients who suffer from chronic health conditions including Cancer and other diseases such as asthma, atherosclerosis, joint pains, TB, digestive disorders, blood pressure, diabetes, bronchitis, obesity, ulcerative colitis, etc.
Its Juice also is known as Green Blood gets immediately absorbed into the bloodstream and gives instant, long-lasting energy.
Chlorophyll found in it is identical to human blood with one exception, i.e., the vital element in chlorophyll is Magnesium, whereas Iron in human blood replaces it.
Some researchers claim that chlorophyll present in Wheatgrass can release magnesium from its center and absorb iron and thus boosts human hemoglobin and adequate blood means an increase in body’s ability to disburse oxygen and fight disease-causing bacteria efficiently.
It is considered a powerful purifier for stomach, liver, pancreas and the circulatory system. Further to this it also neutralizes harmful toxins and flushes them out of our system.
This therapy has evolved as a supportive and alternative treatment to fight cancer and the adverse effects of Chemotherapy and Radiation. ((Wheat Grass Juice May Improve Hematological Toxicity Related to Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer Patients: A Pilot Study))
A lot of research is going to ascertain Wheatgrass cancer treating potential due to its high content of Chlorophyll and nutrients, especially Vitamin B-17.
The taste of Wheatgrass is a bit grassy and it retains more than 80 elements from the soil including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, sulfur, sodium, cobalt, zinc, etc. and it is one of nature’s most abundant sources of vitamins A, C, and K.
It is also plentiful in vitamin B-17, a substance that may have the ability to destroy cancer cells.
It can take care of our body’s daily nutritional requirement as around 30 ml of its fresh Juice is equivalent to 1.5 Kg of fresh fruit and vegetables.
|Vitamin A||12,000 IU||240%|
|Vitamin C||56 mg||93%|
|Vitamin E||2,560 mg||12800%|
|Vitamin K||280 mcg||350%|
|Vitamin B1||88 mg||5867%|
|Vitamin B2||2,080 mg||122353%|
|Vitamin B3||2,016 mg||10080%|
|Vitamin B5||288 mg||2880%|
|Vitamin B6||312 mg||15600%|
|Vitamin B12||0.4 mcg||7%|
Wheatgrass Medicinal Uses
Apart from an anticancer food Wheatgrass is also used to treat and prevent the following health conditions:
- Digestive Disorders
- Breast cancer
- Elevated Cholesterol
- Fatigue and Debility
- Colds, Flu and Viral Infections
- Weak Immune System/ Deficiencies
- Glandular fever
- Fatty Liver /Hepatitis C/ Liver Disorders
- High blood pressure
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Iron deficiency anemia
- Skin Diseases/ Eczema/Psoriasis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Acne and Pimples
- Anal Fissure
- Athlete’s foot
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Reproductive disorders, etc.
One of the significant advantages of Wheatgrass is that it inhibits and combats bacterial and viral activity in the body, reducing the risk of skin infections. Its anti-inflammatory properties help prevent an cure bone disorders including arthritis, osteoporosis, rickets, and osteomalacia.
The abundant of Chlorophyll, active Enzymes and Minerals available in it like potassium, calcium, and magnesium helps combat body acidity and restore your body’s pH levels and reduce toxic load. Chlorophyll not only helps prevent acidosis but also protects your cells from oxidative stress.
Skin infections and disorders such as acne, pimples, eczema, and psoriasis can be reversed by regular use of this healing potion, internally as well as externally.
It contains a sufficient amount of vitamin D, C, E, and K, the four most healing vitamins for the skin.
A study found that when used along with standard medical care, seemed to help control symptoms of chronic inflammation of the large intestine, a condition called ulcerative colitis.
How to Grow Best Quality Wheatgrass at Home?
Once we decide to supplement with this health potion either we can purchase the supplement in the form of pill, juice or powder from the market or produce our own fresh and organic Wheatgrass at home (indoor or outdoor) and consume in its best natural form and get uninterrupted fresh daily supply.
Soil and Weather Conditions best suited for Wheatgrass plantation?
WG prefers neutral soil -about 6.4 pH and Loamy soil is the best for its cultivation, whether you want to grow it at home, indoor or outdoor.
Apart from the Loamy soil, Clay and Sandy-Loamy soils can also be used, and this plant thrives well in it provided there is proper drainage system and these soils should not be acidic and should not contain a high amount of sodium in it.
Loamy soil is a combination of sand, silt, and clay which provides ideal nutrients to wheat seeds. It is composed of about 40 percent sand, 40 percent silt and 20 percent clay and allows proper drainage due to its sand content and the presence of silt and clay allows adequate absorption of water and air by plant roots, which encourage superior growth.
It can grow in a variety of climates and soils, but it grows the best in temperate zones and require a bit of humidity at the sprouting stage followed by sunlight to grow to its full potential.
Why go for expensive supplements, when you can grow this great grass by using simple steps.
Plantation Requirement at Home
- A planting Tray or a Pot
- Wheat Seeds (Approx. 50 grams – 1 cup) – depending on the size of the container.
- Soil (Preferably Black Loamy Soil)
- Organic Fertilizer and Water Sprayer
Steps to grow best quality Wheatgrass at Home
- Take about 50 grams of wheat seeds of good quality and wash them properly. After cleaning, soak them in a container that contains water for 8 to 10 hours and air dry them for a few minutes before you sow them to get rid of extra moisture.
- Take a flat planting tray or pot and add soil pre-mixed with little organic fertilizer to the planting container. Fill more than half of the planting tray with soil, preferably loamy or black soil and then place the seeds in it and then top up with a thin film of soil mix.
- As you sow the seeds make sure that the seeds are not too sticky. After planting spray water on the soil to add a little moisture and drain all the excess water as at this stage. Be careful while you spray water, the soil should be moist and not wet.
- After sowing the seeds cover the planting tray with a paper or thin towel to keep protected from direct sunlight and after 24 hours, take off the cover for a while to spray some water. Moisten the soil gently as high humidity can lead to the development of mold.
- Repeat this cycle till you observe young grass sprouting from the soil which usually takes up to 48 hours from the time the seeds have been sown.
- After the sprouting process begins, uncover and remove the planting tray and spray a little more water on the soil but don’t make the soil too wet. Now start spraying some water on the soil in the morning and late evening and don’t let the soil dry out.
- After initial slow growth, you will observe that the growing process fastens up after the 4th You can now place the planting tray close to a window where it can get some sunshine.
- In about 8-10 days your organic Wheatgrass is ready to be harvested. To cut it, take a pair of scissors or a knife and cut off the top two- thirds lush green blades, or harvest the entire container as per your requirement.
Bonus advice – By planting and rotating three or four containers, you will always have a fresh supply.
How to make Wheatgrass juice at home?
Abundant in essential Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants, Amino Acids including Chlorophyll and healthy Enzymes. It can fight nutritional deficiencies and treat numerous health disorders.
It is a power-packed tool to combat many dreaded diseases including Cancer and both Wheatgrass Juice, and Powder is equally beneficial when it comes to reaping its health benefits.
In short, both can be termed as an ‘Elixir of Life.
How to take Wheatgrass Juice?
One ounce of WG contains about 103 essential Vitamins, Minerals, and Amino acids. Take 30 ml of fresh juice once a day in Morning or Evening.
How to take Wheatgrass Powder?
Take 2-3 grams of WG Powder (Half to Quarter Tablespoon) once a day in Morning or Evening.
If you are allergic to wheat or wheat products, it is recommended to avoid Wheatgrass and If you notice any side effects post its consumption, stop consuming it.
It can cause nausea, appetite loss, and constipation initially as it detoxifies the system and flushes toxins out of the body.
It is safe when taken in recommended amounts, and no significant side effects are known.
The health advantages of Wheatgrass are numerous due to the antioxidant, antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties it possesses, and all of us must try to incorporate this wonderful gift of nature in our diet.